Friday, March 11, 2011

Chiming in the Wind


Years ago I used to have a disdain for wind chimes. I used to believe that they were clinky and annoying objects that just caused the hair to bristle on the back of my neck. Then one day I happened upon a wind chime that had a beautiful melodic sound..... An actual chiming. I had never heard wind chimes that actually chimed instead of clink. The sound of the chimes hung in the air and sounded like the music of angels. When I looked at the price of the chimes, I realized you get the sound you pay for.  Being the frugal gal I am, I put the chimes in law-away (I don't think lay-away even exists anymore).  I've had the wind chimes for years now and they are the only thing that makes the Oklahoma wind bearable. Today the wind is certainly "sweeping down the plains" as the song says.  My chimes are chiming in the wind with a sweet sound that is soothing to the soul. I've never like wind.... It makes me nervous for some reason. But the wind chimes can turn something that makes me anxious into something I could sit and listen to for hours at a time. It's like a lot of things in life. If you search long and hard enough, you can usually find a little something that makes the best times better and the worst times bearable. Sometimes you have to look long and hard, and possibly pay a higher price than you ever expected to pay, but in the end you can find music for the soul and a deep settled calm for the toughest of times. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has some little something that they appreciate and attribute to taking the sting out of a windy situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment