Friday, September 25, 2015

Castles in the Sand

 One thing I noticed about resort living.... People tend to sleep late. Almost every morning, Barbara and I had to wait for the restaurants to open so we could eat breakfast. One morning we were on the beach by 9 am. We were the only ones on the beach. Totally unsatisfied with just laying around, I suggested we build sand castles. We both sat at the beach line constructing our own castles. The day before I had seen a little girl with sand molds and I wanted to ask her if I could borrow them, but I thought that might be a little weird so I began my castle the old fashioned way.... With nothing but my hands.... And seaweed. I built a tall turret with sand walls connecting two smaller turrets. I even constructed a draw bridge which I thought was brilliant, and used seaweed as landscaping. Barbara constructed a sandman.... Also brilliant although I thought she could have put a little more thought into it. We took pictures of our creations. With our creations proudly finished we began to swim. I did my bobbing and twirling and Barbara floated in the very adult Super Model way she does everything. I'm perfectly happy being her frumpy sidekick. I looked down the beach and a tractor was headed our way making the sand all even and pretty so when everyone woke up the beach would be perfect.... Except, our sand castles were in his direct line of fire. That just could not be. I could not allow my castle to be mushed into nothingness. I quickly waded to the beach line waving my arms and pointing at my lovely castle and Barbara's unimaginable sandman. I finally caught the drivers attention and he waved back and oh so sweetly went right around our perfect creations. That's a real gentleman I tell ya. Later when we were looking at our sand castle pictures, she suggested my sand castle resembled something more.... Shall we say crude..... "Let me see that picture" I demanded.... "It does not look like..... Oh, well yeah... Actually it does look a little (or a lot) like the nether regions of the male species. The pictures had already been posted to Facebook so I added a disclaimer that not
everything is as it seems at first glance. Get your mind out of the gutter people.... It's a sand castle.... It's also art which is subject to one's own interpretation. How you interpret my sand castle probably says a lot about you. How I constructed it probably says a lot about me.... You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment