Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Width, Depth, Height of His Love - The Missing Piece


Life is a puzzle, but it doesn't have to be. In the words of Dr. Seuss....

 "And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore"

That's exactly what I do. I puzzle myself over things, that in my infinite lack of wisdom, have been turned into a puzzle of my own making. When this happens, it's not because the pieces aren't there, but rather I'm not looking at the pieces as part of the whole. When I finally see the missing puzzle piece for what it really is, suddenly the entire puzzle makes sense and I wonder to myself in a Dr. Seuss kind of way....

"Then I thought of something I hadn't before, what if the puzzle wasn't in pieces before? What if the puzzle was always one piece and I took it apart with amazing great ease? What if I am the one who scattered the pieces that really made sense, jumbling the the order of how all things went? I see with such clarity I was the piece, I was the one who fell out of place, creating disorder to my once peaceful space. And when I think and I step back to see, the puzzle was always just as the puzzle should be."

You know that's really how I talk to myself sometimes, in Dr. Seuss-ish speak. Sometimes that's how God speaks to me because he knows I'll understand a nonsensical parable better than a sensible parable and he's willing to talk to all of us in whatever language it takes to convey to us his love and the lessons he wants us to learn. God's love for us is greater than our ability to scramble up our lives; yet so simple even a nonsensical person like myself can eventually grasp just how great his love for me really is.

Ephesians 3:18

 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment