Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pride Goeth Before a Fall

I can't fully describe how badly I hate going to Walmart. The family has to be completely out of necessities (as in having to drip dry), before I'll break down to do the deed. Today was one of those days I thought I could get by with a quick trip on my lunch hour. I planned to dash in and dash out. Parking was the only thing that went as planned. As I hurried toward the store, an older gentleman scooted up behind me on one of the motorized buggies and asked me if I wanted a ride. I kinda giggled and said sure. Then he said.... "I'm serious. If you would ride this thing back inside for me it would really save me a few steps and the trouble of getting it in and out." Okay, I admit it. I tussled with my pride for a nanno-second or two. My main concern was I was being punked, my second concern was just how ridiculous I would look wearing a dress with a blinged out belt and boots with 3 inch heels. I had a flash back of a scene from Desperate Housewives where Gabby parks in the handicap parking to save her a few steps in her 5 inch shoes and ended up getting in a fight with a disabled person who took exception to her misuse of the space. I tried to make the excuse that I was a terrible driver and had unfortunate experience with things that were in working order. But, he assured me it went less than a mile an hour so I could do little damage (OBVIOUSLY he didn't know me). So, with more hesitation than I care to admit, I agreed to take the scooter off his hands and ride it into the store. He really wasn't kidding when he said it didn't go 1 mile an hour. It seemed like the majority of my lunch hour was sucked up on that short drive. Not only did the parking lot seem unusually crowded with lunch time shoppers, but several people looked at me in disgust, like I had wrangled a scooter from a poor old fellow so I wouldn't have to walk as far in my high heels. I just fixed my gaze and stared right on ahead and made every dang one of them yield to me. Now I understand why scooter drivers tend to be a tad aggressive, they're tired of being judged. So I made it into the store, parked the scooter and grabbed a buggy before I developed more of an attitude than I was born with. The rest of my lunch hour was spent berating myself for ever having judged someone with no knowledge of the facts (things aren't always what they appear). But mainly for the nano-second of hesitation I had due to pride and caring one iota of how silly I would look. I admit sometimes I just need to get over myself, I mean really! So, I came back from lunch with a tad more humility and Proverbs 16:18 echoing in my head... Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment