Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Finer Things In Life


I'm a texting addict! I would much rather text a 2 hour conversation than have a 5 minute conversation on the phone. I think the real reason I like to text is because I can take additional time to come up with quick witted responses (if they were really quick witted I wouldn't have to take additional time, huh). I've had a Blackberry Pearl for a little over a year. I haven't had any problems with it until the last few weeks. Sometimes the tracking ball would just freeze up... Oh I hate that. I got online and found a site that showed you how to take it apart and clean it which seemed like a good idea to me. Amazingly enough I took it apart, cleaned it and got it back together again with no harm done. Of course, what I did didn't help it either, but at least is wasn't hopelessly broken like some things I have dismantled. I took the phone into the store and they replaced the thingy that seems to make it work. That is until Monday when out of the blue the ball thingy just wouldn't press down. I could move the ball wherever I wanted but when I went to select it just wouldn't do it. I was in the middle of a life changing text so I grabbed my pen and pushed as hard as I could. After a few tries it finally selected but every time I sent a text I had to use a pen and brute force. I knew that this just wouldn't work because how was I going to text and drive at the same time.... Not that I do that, but let's say I was driving by a possible murder scene in someplace like... Eureka Springs and was trying to save the person being beaten to death.... In a case like that I would most certainly break all texting rules and text while chasing the hoodlums. So, as you can see it was important to get my phone fixed. I went to the phone store on my lunch hour. A bright, well dressed young man came up to me all chipper and professional and asked me what I needed. I explained my problem to him and the inconvenience of having to use a pen to push the ball thingy down. When I finished talking he just stood there looking from me to the phone. He kind of acted like I was speaking French or something. Finally I asked him what was wrong. He looked at me, then looked back at the phone and said.... "Nothing, I'm just trying to figure out why you ever thought it was a good idea to use a pen to force the tracking ball down." Well! I didn't see that coming, especially in the "tone" that he delivered it in. He disappeared to the back and eventually came back to explain the problem. Apparently, gunk such as "make-up and stuff" can get trapped under the "thingy" and when I pressed it with the pen it broke the little sensor which was now not sensitive (although I was getting more sensitive by the second). He then began to rattle off my options all of which sounded expensive and I continued to stare at him like I did when my math teacher tried to explain algebra. He ended his little speech with a question mark and wanted to know which option I wanted to take. He asked me "Have I completely lost you?" to which I happily replied "Oh yeah". I pointed to a pretty little purple phone and told him I wanted to do whatever I needed to do to take that home. Lucky for me he turned me over to a sales girl who juggled my account around to allow me to carry that pretty little purple phone out of the store. I spent over an hour in the store that day and have been back every day since trying to get my plan and my phone working as it should. Of course when my husband gets the cell phone bill my marriage may not be working as it should, and he may suggest I take my pretty little phone and visit a counselor. He totally won't understand that I did it for the good of society and as a crime fighting citizen it is my duty to make sure I have all of the the equipment I need. Men!! Sometimes they just don't understand the finer things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment