Wednesday, September 15, 2010

If You Could Read My Mind


While on my way to work yesterday I heard a news report that researchers have found a way to turn your thoughts into words. I didn't get to hear the entire report but just the thought of that scared the bejeezes out of me. I for one, do not believe that this would in any way be a good idea.... especially for someone like me!!!! I have very seldom been accused of "holding back". If you're around me for very long you will find that I have a tendency to speak my mind,not in a bad way, just in an honest way. I can't count the times that as soon as something has left my lips I was frantically wishing I could suck them right back into hiding. The first thing that came to mind was when I was a small girl.... Probably under the age of 10. We went to a tiny church and every so often if the service didn't last as long as the pastor thought it should, he would have a "Testimony Time". I remember so well sitting beside my Dad with his arm wrapped around me. It seemed like we had been at church forever. This one man who really had a tendency to ramble on and on during his "testimony" got up to speak, just as I was dosing off. I remember hearing him say something like... "I know it's late but I just wanted to say...." About that time I was awakened by a voice that groaned.... "Oh,No!" and the the sound of snickering all over the church. I raised my head only to find everyone looking at me. Apparently as I dosed off, I thought to myself "Oh, great! We're going to be here forever." but in reality I had really verbalized those thoughts.... OUT LOUD! As the blood drained from my face I really just wanted to crawl under the pew and die. I will admit however, he seemed to keep his testimony short and sweet from that time forward. I'm probably not the only person on earth who may think snarky things at times but tries very hard to keep them from escaping captivity. Heaven help us if they ever hook me up to a machine and everything that goes through my head comes out on paper in written form. It just would not be good. I felt much better when I was able to look the article in question up, and find that the study is still in it's infancy and is being researched as a way to help those who have been paralyzed or rendered mute via a stroke. Whew! That was a close call. Some things just should not be said and some minds should not be read.... Hmmm, that would be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment