Sunday, May 13, 2012

Consider Yourself a Success

Growing up my favorite game was playing dolls. Not Barbie dolls, not paper dolls, but baby dolls. I remember telling my mom I never wanted to grow up because I never wanted to get too old to play dolls. I would dress my pet rabbit, Thumperlina, in doll clothes and stroll her around the house in a stroller. When we realized Thumperlina had unnecessary parts in her nether regions, we shortened her name to Thumper and I continued to dress him in doll clothes, effectively making him the first cross dressing rabbit I know.  That was before things like cross dressing rabbits were even important enough to be political fodder, so even at a young age I was a trend setter. A lot of little girls dream of being doctors, lawyers or designers, I only dreamed of being a mom. My bedtime prayer went like this...

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord soul to take. And please Lord don't do the rapture thing before I have a chance to have a baby and watch it grow."

It's true, I prayed that a lot when I was young, I was so afraid Christ would return before I could become a mom. A friend of mine told me this weekend that she wasn't sure if it was a good thing, or a bad thing that now her kids were grown and in college, neither one of them wanted to come back home and live with her. That is the ultimate gold medal in motherhood. Giving your children wings and courage enough to embark upon their own adventures leaving you behind to do nothing but simply glow in the pride of who they have become. To all the moms who have accomplished this great feat, the happiest of Mother's Day to you! Job well done faithful one, consider yourself a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment