Monday, March 18, 2013

Thinking Outside the Box

This week I've been freakishly focused. Maybe it's because I've got so much to block out right now that I've left my puny ADHD brain no where else to squirrel off to. Last night I got on a cleaning kick. I rarely get in a honest to God cleaning kick and when I do, it's certainly not in the middle of the week. Maybe it's the spring like weather... Maybe it's the moon.... I don't know what it is, but I hope it keeps going for a while. But, like everything else, this focus thing has it's price. I went to bed, drifted off and then woke wide eyed and bushy tailed at 2:00 a.m.! I laid there and didn't go back to sleep until after 4:30.  In those couple of hours, I had decided I needed to tear the wallpaper out of my bathroom and repaint using damask stencils. I woke up this morning with the same freakishly bizarre energy and can't wait to dig my fingernails into the wallpaper tonight. Okay.... This is were I start having problems. The last time I did this manic mania... It ended with a sledge hammer. I was getting ready for the pumpkin carving party we used to have in the fall and knew the bathroom was just pitiful. Not too many years prior, we ripped out plaster, cabinets and moved load bearing walls in a remodel of my 1927 style kitchen. That little project took close to 3 years. Yes sirree, we did it ourselves.... We're the home makeover people. Having my kitchen sink sitting in plywood held up by bar stools few years (FYI, more than 2 is a few), and being able to see into the basement through the hardwood floors, I had lost my whole "This Old House" vibe. I didn't want to hang a picture or anything!  Even though the kitchen took a while, it was worth the wait but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a crappy bathroom. Knowing I had no time for a bathroom make-over, I decided if I couldn't do a bathroom make-over... I'd make it look like I was in the middle of one. So, I grabbed a sledge hammer
and took to the walls of my bathroom. I wasn't knocking actual holes in the wall, just knocking off the drywall that was cracked from where someone had attempted to cover the cracks in the plaster. My husband came home from work just as the dust of destruction was beginning to settle. "We're having a party this weekend!!! Are you crazy??" he asked me as I drag a ladder into the hallway and placed paint buckets randomly in the hall.... "You've completely ripped up the bathroom!!!" So I had to take a break to explain to him the theory, that since I couldn't fix things up, I'd make it look like I was in the process of fixing things up and people would understand instead of thinking... "Oh my gosh.... Why don't they do something with that bathroom?".  Then after the party, we really would do something to the bathroom. He didn't exactly agree with my logic and let's face it, I'd be worried about him if he did. It's not something most people would do and that's what make me unique (not crazy) and probably a big reason my children may need therapy... But by gosh, I'm not afraid to think outside the box (BOOM!). Sadly, after the party was over, my freakishly spring fever broke and the bathroom stayed dormant (with busted walls and peeling paint) for... Oh, I don't know, three years or so. Now you understand why I'm a little hesitant to start ripping the wallpaper off this weekend. What if my manic energy settles before the dust does?  I'm not sure I want to take that chance of living with wallpaper that has been 1/2 ripped down, but I also don't want to miss the opportunity to do something creative with the energy surge spring has sprung on me. If I do jump on the opportunity but fail to finish it, at least the next time I have the urge to re-do, I'll already be halfway finished with the whole thing.... It's like a win, win situation with a few years spread in between. That's what I call thinking outside the box... I totally understand if you chose not to think this way... It's probably better for you if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment