Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Homesick



There are times, as a friend I feel so inadequate. This morning I was getting ready for work, making my bed, doing all the things you do in the morning before you leave for the day. My phone rang and I knew instantly from the caller ID that this was not going to be good news. A good friend of mine had called a few weeks ago to tell me her Father-in-law had been diagnosed with Lymphoma. This morning she called to let me know he has lost the battle. My heart just sunk to my knees. She has lost so many immediate family members in the last few years... It's hard to understand. I'm a fixer and would do anything in the world, absolutely anything to make things easier for her and her family. But sometimes, regardless of how much you love someone, all you can do is love them. On my way to work I was thinking... "What can I do? What should I do?" In my heart I know all I can do is love her and pray for the family. The fixer side of me will make a big batch of macaroni and cheese tonight to take over to them. I can only hope that in every once of cheese, butter and cream, the depth of my love can be felt. I know with each passing day she has more and more reason to feel homesick like never before.

No comments:

Post a Comment