Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Feather in Your Cap

I'm all about fighting growing old tooth and toenail. I have a book entitled "How Not to Look Old" by Charla Krupp which I give as birthday presents to all of my girlfriends. Even though it's warned against in the book,I've said many times, they will have to pry my stilettos and my frosted eyeshadow out of my cold dead hands. I love sparkle and bling is my thing. I do have my limits however, and I will not succumb to peer pressure to get a feather! If you are like I was, you're saying.... "Feather, what feather?" A friend of mine was sporting a new haircut the other day that was adorably cute. After commenting on her new do she turned her head and said.... "Do you like my feather?" On the side of her head she had a strand of red that streaked through her blond hair. "A feather? What the heck is that?" I asked. "It's a feather, silly. You'll have to get one next time you go get your hair done. They stay in for like 6 weeks and come in all different colors." Maybe I'm dull, maybe I'm not as edgy as some, or maybe I'm just old and grumpy,but I will not be getting a feather weaved into my hair!! The next week I went to the beauty shop to get my highlights highlighted. My stylist asked me if I wanted a feather to which quickly replied.... "NO!", she laughed at me and told me I really should get a feather. "No, no, no, feather! I'm 48 years old and I just don't think someone my age needs a feather in their hair." But according to her, "Everybody is doing it!" First of all, I've never really cared what everyone else was wearing. Second of all, I looked in my "How Not to Look Old" book and there isn't a chapter addressing the wearing of feathers in your hair after a certain age. Why would I break one rule (like frosted eye shadow) and not break them all, because even if I was 16 I don't think I would want a feather and if everybody else is doing it then that's the perfect reason for me not to have a feather in my hair. I think... And this is my own opinion, the first rule of how not to look old is to be willing to try new things while being very aware of where your style comfort zone lies. Being confident enough to set your own style trend is a feather in your cap regardless of your age.

No comments:

Post a Comment