Friday, April 23, 2010

Till Death Do Us Part

I was talking to my son last weekend about marriage when he mentioned that a friend of his had unrealistic expectations about  marriage. His exact words were "She believes it should be like a fairytale". I explained to him that a lot of girls/women believe marriage should be like a fairytale. We grow up reading stories like Cinderella and Snow White, eventually some graduate to romantic novels and somewhere along the way we forget to teach our little girls that those are just stories. Don't get me wrong, marriage is a wonderful thing, but it's no fairytale regardless of who you are, or who you are married to. Before my husband and I got married our minister told us one day we would wake up, look at each other, and have no clue why we were married. Out of the entire conversation that's the only thing that stuck with me. As we passed one anniversary after another I wondered time and again when that day would come, could I handle it, or would we escape that event all together. It took about 27 years before I experienced any of those feelings or thoughts, but there have been moments in the last couple of years when I have. I thank God every day they were fleeting and they didn't last! My husband, to this day, denies that he has ever experienced it, but I tend to believe he is just in denial. Regardless, love isn't always warm and fuzzy. It's not always exciting. It's not always fun, but all in all it is totally worth it. When he makes me laugh, or comforts me when I'm down, it's like a warm blanket wrapped tightly around my heart. Sometimes life distracts us and stresses us to the point of losing sight of our love, but that doesn't mean it isn't always there.... just waiting for the flame to be kindled again. God knew exactly what he was doing when he put the two of us together. He created something that would endure the test of time. So far it's been 28 years, 4 months, 3 days, 20 hours and 39 minutes since we said I do and we're still going strong. Do we have moments? Yes we do, but the real question is... Do we still have each other in those moments? The answer to that question is yes we do.... Until death do us part.

No comments:

Post a Comment