Sunday, September 11, 2016

One Nation

Like everyone else, I remember in vivid detail what I was doing when the events of 9/11 occurred. Just moments before, I had walked my youngest to school, gently holding his hand. Had I know then what I know now, I'm not certain I would have been able to let go of that tiny hand. In 2001 I was working in a busy doctor's office. Each day was like strapping into an 8 hour rollercoaster ride with phones ringing, people coming and going, but not on 9/11/01. That Tuesday was eerily quiet with few patients showing up for their appointments. I had a sickening knot in my stomach, and like a mother hen, I just wanted to gather my chicks into the nest under my protective wings. That evening my husband told said..... "Our lives as we know it will never be the same." As I watch documentaries on the stories of that day the one thing that strikes me is this. On 9/11/01 we were one nation. There were no protest of "Black Lives Matter". We were not Republicans or Democrats, white or black, rich or poor. Prayer wasn't taboo, compassion wasn't sparse, and politically correct wasn't a catch phrase. We were one nation, one people united in our determination not to let evil prevail. What will it take for us to become one nation again?

No comments:

Post a Comment