Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Sweet as Home Spun Honey


I am married to the greatest sport ever! Last weekend I was supposed to go to Fort Worth Texas to see Billy Currington in concert. I love me some Billy Currington and to my credit, I loved his music before I knew what he looked like. After that.... I REALLY love me some Billy Currington. The friend that was supposed to go with me got side tracked by a family issue so my beloved husband took her place. Initially I felt like he might "cramp my style". I certainly wouldn't like seeing my husband swoon over a gorgeous female, so I knew I would have to tamp down my "excitement". Unlike most concerts, this one was at Billy Bob's which is the world's largest Honky Tonk. I'm not a "Honky Tonk" kind of gal, but one does what one must do to see Billy Currington up close and personal. The concert sold out which meant they removed the tables and chairs from the showroom (there were a few in the back). We waited in line to get into the showroom for an hour or so. The young people who entered with us rushed to the front of the stage. It was only 7:30 and the concert didn't start until 10:30. I looked at my husband, and he looked at me.
Like most couple who have been married for over 34 years, we needed no words, the look said it all.... "We're too freaking old to stand here for hours on end." We meandered to the back where there were a few tables and chairs, along with other old fogies with arthritis, artificial joints, and no desire to impress the youngens..... "I don't need to smell his breath, I just want to see him" I told my husband as we sat down. We waited, and waited, and waited. Mike got up to get food while I read a book on my phone... How pathetic is that!? The lights dimmed, the music began and Billy stepped on stage. The older woman sitting behind Mike, leaned over to her daughter and yelled.... "I sure would like to run my fingers through that curly hair!" I thought to myself... "Wouldn't we both. As he finished his first song, I turned to Mike and whispered in his ear.... "Dang!!!!!" He grinned at me, then said.... "Go ahead, that's what you're here for" So I elbowed my way toward the front. I didn't get close enough to smell his breath, but l got close enough to  say..... He looked as sweet as home spun honey. Truly, if Mike ever felt that way about another woman, the green eyed monster would rear its ugly head in me and we would have a good old fashioned, come to Jesus meeting. Yes, even after 34 years that would be my reaction. Mike's reaction???? On the way back to the hotel he said.... "When he finished the first song and you looked at me and said Dang!!!, I'll have to admit, that was pretty cute." My man really is sweet as home spun honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment