Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Slickery

I've been walking the wooded path for a couple of years. The trail has become well worn, but never boring. Nothing beats nature. Old man winter has hopefully blown his chilling last breath and spring is fixin to be sprung. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't transition directly into summer, but Oklahoma isn't known for its consistent weather patterns. The last week or so brought sleet, snow, and rain. We've been in a severe drought so any and all moisture is a welcomed sight. Today was beautiful and I was a happy little camper that the time change allowed enough daylight for me to take to the woods. I was surprised to see standing water along the path in places I've never seen it before. The portion of the path that is especially worn down to the hard packed Oklahoma clay, was very.... slickery, which made the walk  that more interesting. I had to keep up my pace while dodging gopher holes, briers and slick spots.... It kept me on my toes. I found myself finding alternate routes and forging new paths in the untrampled prairie grass. It was fun as I zigged-zagged, hopped and skipped where I usually just walked. It reminded of zipping through the landmines of life and friendships. When a slick spots appears in an area I've comfortably navigated for so long, and I'm suddenly uneasy where I used to feel safe, I find myself deviating from the usual course and forging new paths. Dodging life's landmines is tricky business if you want to make it out in one piece, and probably a necessary evil to get me out of my comfort zone and off the beaten path. I suppose everyone needs a little slickery in life to keep things interesting. If it wasn't for the slickery stuff, life would be just a walk in the park, so cliche', and where's the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment