Monday, April 1, 2013

Modern Convenience..."If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."


This weekend our microwave oven bit the dust. It was well over due if you ask me. The little rollers that rotate the plate, had actually worn through the metal so you could see this pretty glow coming from underneath the plate. Since green isn't one of my favorite colors and I was sure I was being contaminated by evil rays coming from the glow, I had my son haul it out to the trash. Easter afternoon my son came home from work and I told him I had some left overs from the feast my daughter had made. I heard him in the kitchen fixing a plate and remembered.... "I'll need to heat that up" Then I got to tell him the story all parents wait with bated breath to tell their children... About the good ole' days when we didn't have microwave or texting!  Shocking now to think we lived in such conditions and made it to adulthood unscathed. :-) After he ate, he left with his girlfriend to go see a movie. As he was leaving, he asked if I would still be up when he got back, because he'd probably want another plate of left overs and didn't really want to use the stove. I just chuckled and said "Yeah, well I may just run to Wal-mart and get a new one." Everyone knows I just abhor going to Wal-mart. It causes me great angst and usually results in simmering anger. But our microwave oven was out, and a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to survive. Yep, you guessed it, it was "Big Girl Panty" time.... Survival of the fittest. I was headed to the jungle.  When I got there I grabbed the buggy and headed straight for the necessities department.... The aisle where they keep the microwaves. I pulled one off shelf, threw it on my buggy (it's not rocket science, it's just a microwave) then whipped out my measuring tape to make sure it would fit in my microwave cubby and made a run for it. For maybe a split second I considered picking up a few things we needed like dog food, milk, eggs, but the thought didn't linger and I made it out with the bare necessity I came for. On the way home I began to feel a little spoiled knowing we would probably survive the week without a microwave. Those modern conveniences really do come in handy and they make me happy. What's the saying??? "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment