Monday, March 19, 2012

More of a Hero

When I was in 1st or 2nd grade, I joined a softball team. I remember riding my bike to the school for practice and looked forward to the first game. My stomach twittered with butterflies when it came my turn to bat. To my own shock and awe, I hit the ball and sent it soaring. I ran to first as the coach waved me on toward second. I hit second base with a determined thud and looked up to see that everyone was going nuts. I misinterpreted their excitement, and hung my head as I began walking off the field. When I stepped off the base the place erupted and the second base girl tagged me out. I had given up on myself just a tad too early and was out of the game for real. This would have been a great opportunity for a coach or someone to put their arm around me afterwards and assure me that no mistake is fatal. That didn't happen, and I never went back. I bet I missed a lot of good games because the fear of failure kept me from playing.

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game!"
- -A Cinderella Story

When I had kids I did not want them to live with fear of failure.  I certainly don't need to worry about them not living their dreams. This week Aja and Seth are off on a mission trip to Haiti. Each of them have been to different countries, but never together. This will be their first mission trip together and the last trip before my son walks down the isle to start the adventure of marriage. They have stepped up to the plate to face their fears more than I could ever imagine. Each one is very different but with every step they take, they become more of a hero in my eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment