Friday, October 30, 2015

Good in a Scary Kind of Way


Although I grew up watching horror movies with my friends, I've never been a huge haunted house person. Maybe it's because I live in my very own "Herman Munster" house so it's just another day in the neighborhood for me. Barbara, on the other hand has wanted to go to a haunted house for years, so I told her I would take her to The Sanctuary in Oklahoma City.  I picked her up after work and to be honest I was dreading it a little. Driving to the City after working all day, and waiting in line so someone could scare  me, sounded like a long day at the end of a long week. I realized that kind of attitude makes me sound like a boring old person which I refuse to be, so I decided to take a walk on the wild side. As we waited in line for the doors to open, Barbara pointed around and said...... "tennis shoes, tennis shoes, tennis shoes" Then pointed at me and said.... "Stripper Heels! Jac, why would you wear heels to a haunted house?  You're going to kill yourself crazy lady." Trust me on this.... If you can't do something in 5 inch heels, then it's probably not worth doing in the first place. I assured her she needn't worry about my ability to escape potential danger due to my footwear. If needed, I am perfectly able to mow you over in my stripper heels just as easily as I can in my running
shoes... This wasn't my first rodeo. We hadn't made it into the actual haunted part before she began to crouch behind me tugging on the waist of my jeans and clutching the back of my shirt. She had worked herself into a terrified state before we saw anything scary. When we finally made it to the scary part, there was a lot of screaming, running, and crouching. She was determined to crouch behind me until something jumped out, then she would scream, (which caused me to scream), run to safety, then wait while I moseyed through seeing what I could see. Sometimes she would run from something scary only to find herself running into something more scary. I laughed and laughed watching her crouch and scream. I encouraged her..... "Barbara, slow down, enjoy the moment..... Act back to the actors." But she would have none of that. The sanctuary does an excellent job. They put a lot of work into making you see, hear, and smell fear. The headless doll room was very creepy and the lady in labor gave me a good start.. At the end of the night we came out with big smiles and scratchy throats from the laughing and screaming. She got to check another thing off of her bucket list so, it was good in a scary kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment