Thursday, May 8, 2014

Like a Flood

In 1991 my Mom and Dad moved to Duncan. While they were in the process of buying a home, they lived with us a month. During that time, my husband and I faced an unforeseen challenge that rocked the foundation of our lives. My perfect world was being threatened and I could feel the walls closing in around me. Most days I sat at my desk as uncontrolled tears rolled down my cheeks. One day I left work early, completely emotionally and physically exhausted. Mom and Dad had just moved into their house so I stopped by to see if Mom could give me something to help me sleep.  I wanted to escape the emotional turmoil for just a few hours before picking the kids up from daycare. When I walked into the house she took one look at my puffy eyes and asked me to sit down for a moment. She pulled out her Bible and read….

Isaiah 59:19 “…When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.” 

Then she said (and I’ll never forget this…) “The way it is written, the enemy is coming in like a flood. But if you move the comma over the scripture reads differently...”

“When the enemy shall come in, like a flood the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.” 

She looked at me and explained… “Moving the comma changes the verse to show the enemy coming in, but the Spirit of the LORD flooding the enemy.” You may say tomato tomato, but moving the comma back a couple of words made a big difference in how I viewed God’s ability cover the hurt I was experiencing. Isaiah 59:19 is a great verse regardless where you put the comma, but when you feel the enemy bearing down on you from all directions, believing the Spirit of the LORD is going to flood the enemy therefore wiping out his attempt to overtake you is monumentally empowering. And that my friend is why I chose this verse for my Facebook challenge. Happy Mother’s Day Mom!!! Thank you for your words of wisdom. Have a happy Mother’s Day in heaven…. I’ll see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment