Google+ Followers

Saturday, January 11, 2014

This is My Life

Thursday morning started out much like every other morning this week. I kissed Mom and Dad goodbye and headed for the office. Around 9:30 I received a call from Daddy saying that Mom had fallen. As sick as she is, she still has a stubborn streak a mile wide. She can barely walk, but turn your back for 2 seconds and she is up and running. This time her little rebel trip didn't turn out well. Exactly 1 minute and 8 seconds later I was standing in the hallway, seeing Mom positioned awkardly between the bathroom and hallway. I was frozen in place with absoluetly no idea as to what to do or how to help. Dad had called 911 and minutes later the little hallway was filled with firemen and EMT people assessing the situation. Little did I know this was the beginning of a very bad day. I answered questions, provided documents while the EMTs determined the best way to get her up and to her bed. The fall hurt, but at the time we didn't believe it had injured her beyond what she was already suffering. They finally got her back to her bed and I ushered them out of the house with much gratitude and thanks. The first order of business was to get Mom cleaned up and comfortable. I went into the kitchen to get her medication and poured me up a glass of water while I was at it. Then I went into my room to change into my caregiving clothes. I reached into my suitcase for a pair of my yoga pants and noticed a strange bitterness on my tongue. I stopped and replayed my last steps.... I had poured Mom's medicine into my hand, gotten a glass of water, but did I give Mom her medication? I poked my head around the corner and asked Dad if I had given Mom her medicine. Dad said.... "No, I just asked her if you handed it to her and she said you didn't." alrighty then, in my confusion and haste apparently I tossed back her pain and anxiety medication without realizing it! I put on my caregiving clothes, got her more medicine and began helping Dad get her settled. When she was tucked in tight and cozy, I changed clothes and went back to work where I informed both of my bosses, that I was working under the influence of medication that was not prescribed for me. Oddly enough, neither of them seemed surprised by my mishap, as they live with Jackie mishaps 5 days a week. Having a Jackie moment every now and then is the only thing that keeps our department from being a continual snooze fest. I worked through lunch with a nice peaceful feeling you get when combining pain meds with anxiety meds. I left the office @ 2 to get Mom ready to see her doctor. While trying to dress her, I quickly found that we weren't going anywhere, at least not in my car. Every time we moved her, she cried out in pain. It was hard to determine where or what the new pain was, but it made it impossible for the two of us to move her as usual. We called 911 again. As often as she falls, I assumed a team of EMTs had been assigned to our address. It just makes sense to me that there should be a frequent caller perk, but I found there isn't. Unfortunately, a shift change had taken place between call 1 and call 2, so all of the questions and information had to be asked and answered again. Small houses aren't designed for lots of EMT people and their equipment. After rearranging the house, she was put in the ambulance with me close behind. We arrived at the ER at 3:30. I may not have a lot of positive attributes, but one I do have is patience with medical workers. After working in a medical office for 9 years, I understand that medical people are human just like the rest of us. Around 6 hours later, my peaceful easy feeling, as well as my patience with all people in general had just about reached it's maximum capacity. CT scans showed no fractures, therefore the hospital had no reason to admit her into care. In spite of the fact that she could not get up, even with aide, they were going to send her home.... By ambulance! The medical staff was saved by divine intervention and the fact that I had mistakenly taken my Mom's medication; I promise, that and sheer exhaustion is the only thing that kept me from a volcanic explosion. Dad and I are trying to find our rythmn again and Monday morning I'll set about the task of tackling the medical professionals again.... Until then, this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment