Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Have You Heard the Story of the Compulsive Shopper and The E-Geek ?

Everybody has their own personal language. The well spoken person talks with calm precision and confidence. Pseudo experts recite facts they learned while staying at a Holiday Inn Express. Athletes reminisce about winning a race or game. Compulsive shoppers (:-) give you directions to the newest outlet mall (but they'd rather take you there in person). E-Geeks talk about drives, connections, routing and properties. Yep, every body speaks their own language but if you look hard enough you can usually find a common thread that transcends all language barriers. Such was the case with the Compulsive Shopper and the E-Geek.
Shopper to E-Geek...
  "Every time I click on the little picture thingy on my computer a message box thingy comes on that says something like it the driver thingy can't be found."
E-Geek to Shopper...
  "Now what have you done?"
Shopper to E-Geek...
  "I didn't do anything! I just tried to click on the program and stuff just started popping up but my program thing won't pop up."
E-Geek to Shopper...
  "Just re-boot your computer."
Shopper to E-Geek...
 
"Uh, I did re-boot my computer... I've been re-booting my computer for three months and it still won't open the program. I think something is wrong."
E-Geek to Shopper...
  "Uh-huh, you've done something wrong, you can't just go re-booting the computer all the time."
Shopper to E-Geek
  "Well, I was just doin what you told me to do. It's still not working."
E-Geek to Shopper...
  "You got any food over there in your department?"
Shopper to E-Geek...
  "I'd be happy to go buy some food if you think that would help."
E-Geek to Shopper
  "Yeah, you'd better do that and when you get back I'll come over and take a look at what you've done wrong."
Shopper to E-Geek
  "Really? You will? Great! I'll, Umm, I'll just go see if I can find some food. If I have food you will come look at my computer? Like for real, actually come to my desk and look at my computer?"
E-Geek to Shopper...
  "Yeah, I'm really busy because the drive that your program is on is down and everyone is complaining because their computers are locking up. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with something you've done, but if you have food, I should be able to tear myself away from waiting on the UPS guy to bring me the new server that's suppose to be here next week and come over to your department to see what you got." 
Shopper to E-Geek...
  "Golly! That would be just great! Thank you so much!"

Tug the one simple common thread between people from different realms and great things can and will happen.

1 comment: