Monday, June 3, 2013

Ornamental Vs. Intrusive

After all the storms of last week, and sorrow for the many lives that were lost during those storms, the skies cleared and the weather turned beautiful for the weekend. Rarely in Oklahoma is the weather actually pleasant. If it's not too cold, it's too hot. If it's not too hot or cold, then the wind is miserable. There is a very small window of time where it's actually pleasant to be outside, so you better enjoy it while you can. As my husband mowed the lawn, I grabbed the weed eater and began the task of clearing out unwanted weeds. When we first moved into our house, we ripped out several cedar trees that completely obstructed the front porch, along with other overgrown shrubs. I am very good at demolition (imagine that), but I'm not so talented at landscaping. For the last several years, we have fought what I call "weed trees" and a very intrusive ivy. I looked them up on the Internet and found that in some cases, people actually plant these trees and ivy for ornamental reasons. They have however, completely taken over our yard and I can't imagine someone intentionally planting something so intrusive. As this thought was still hovering in my consciousness, I heard a knock, knock, knock on my heart. How many things have I intentionally allowed in my life thinking it would  add beauty and meaning, only to find, without close supervision, it completely takes over my life. It can happen with almost anything..... Hobbies, work, even relationships.  Every now and then I need to stop and take inventory to see if I've planted something for ornamental reasons only to have them become intrusive instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment