Saturday, June 15, 2013

It's a Small Small World

Perfect!!! That's how I like events to go. Unfortunately I don't have OCD, except in event planning. When I'm planning a party or shower, I know exactly what I'm shooting for. When I've done the planning correctly and the time comes, I can sit back, relax and just enjoy seeing my dreams come to life in front of me. Admittedly, I'm a total control freak about that kind of stuff. I am also very big on punctuality. If I arrive somewhere on time, I feel like I'm late. I don't like to be late and I prefer others to not be late as well. June 15, 1983 was the date my first child was due. I knew first pregnancies often go past the due date. I had the doctor check and re-check his calculations so he could be as accurate as possible, because I don't like to wait for anything. On the 15th, noon rolled around and I was starting to get anxious. Not one sign or symptom of anything happening any time soon... Notta, Zip, Nothing. I cried when I walked my husband out after lunch. He assured me everything would happen in time..... But I wanted it to happen ON Time. At exactly 3 that afternoon, I got that feeling and 5 short hours later, my husband and I welcomed our first child into our lives. The doctor proudly held her up for us to see and said.... "That face could go on a jar of Gerber baby food!" She was perfect... Absolutely perfect! Nothing captures a mother's heart more than the first glimpse of her child. We took her home, where she continued to keep us mesmerized by every little thing. As she grew, her strong will and tenacity took her places I could never dream of going. I miss the days of snuggling her close,  of rocking her to sleep while singing "It's a Small World", and holding her in my lap reading "The Cat in the Hat", over and over again. The little bundle of sugar and spice has grown up to see just how massive this small world really is, and I couldn't be more proud of the woman she has grown to be. Happy Birthday Aja! Love you tons and bunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment