Saturday, January 28, 2017

Fighting the Good Fight


3 years ago today, my Mom passed from this life to her eternal home. My Dad had been in the trenches of her illness long before we knew she was truly ill with something other than dementia or some other condition altering her mental state. When she was finally diagnosed with Lymphoma, I moved in to begin helping.

After she died, my immediate and most pressing concern was my Dad. They had been married for 57 years. I remember telling him..... "Daddy, don't quit on me. Please don't give up."  So often after a spouse dies, the remaining spouse gives up on life and follows shortly thereafter. My greatest fear was that Daddy would no longer have a reason to live. My husband and I continued to live with Dad for several weeks after her passing. We didn't actually move out, I just gradually began taking my clothes home, and spending more nights at our house until Dad was a little more settled. When I took the last suitcase home, the look on his face broke my heart.

I go by every morning before work. He works part time at the funeral home. He loves to work in his yard and takes care of his neighbors yard as well. His days are long and lonely, but he hasn't given up. He hasn't given up because he isn't a quitter. He hasn't given up, because he is still fighting to the good fight.

Today is a hard day, but it would be so much harder if I didn't have a part of Mom still here with me. I don't feel like I've ever lost Mom because as long as I have Daddy, a big chunk of her is still with me.
I love you to the moon and back Daddy... Don't ever forget that.


No comments:

Post a Comment