Tuesday, September 4, 2018

In the Still of the Night

The house is quiet. Dad is tucked safely in his bed, sleeping after an exhausting day of doctors and tests. The last 2 1/2 weeks have been a whirlwind of unexpected events. He had a major heart attack while mowing his neighbor's lawn and required a triple bypass. From the emergency room staff to the floor nurses, he has amazed everyone he has come in contact with. He doesn't look like he is 82, and he certainly doesn't act 82. He is fun to be around, he still works and of course there is his love of mowing.... A gene I did not inherit. He has beat all odds. They told him he would be in ICU for up to 3 days, he was moved to a regular room 24 hours after his surgery. He was told he would be in the hospital for weeks, but was moved into rehab the week after his surgery. They told him he would be in rehab much longer than a week and exactly 2 weeks from the day of his surgery, I brought him home.

A few weeks ago I was in Houston training. My supervisor and I was talking when the subject of my Dad came up. She leaned back in her chair and said..... "Wow! You completely light up when you talk about your Dad." I nodded. "This is what I've always said about my Dad.... He is the closest thing to a saint that you will ever meet this side of heaven." Those aren't just words, that's the honest to God truth. He has a kindness about him that is genuine to the core. He encourages and  affirms everyone around him. He isn't just a good guy, he is a GREAT guy. If you don't believe me ask anyone who knows him. He has taught me to be positive. He is a man of God. He has been a living example of having a good work ethic regardless of what you're doing.

During the day while I'm sorting his medication and hovering over him like a hen, I don't think about how things could have turned out. But in the still of the night my mind wonders to the "What If's" and I am overcome by emotion. Every day I have him is one more day that I am truly blessed. So I'll dry these tears and be thankful for every single breath.



No comments:

Post a Comment